OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Oct 2018 13:24:13 -0400
The Columbus Audubon field trip to these parks along the Olentangy River
corridor found a cool, cloudy morning that gradually brightened, both
weather-wise & bird-wise.  We started at Antrim Lake (after I had an early
stop at the Olentangy Nature Trail), then went north to Highbanks River
Bluff section.  I also made a quick run-through at the Scenic River Trail
at Highbanks on my way home.  Notables included

Merlin - a small male was eating a songbird along the lakeside path at
Antrim Lake
Waterbirds - not much, but did have 2 Pied-billed Grebes at Antrim Lake
Winter Wren - one was along the river trail at River Bluff
Kinglets - both species at different locations.  Ruby-crowns most at River
Bluff (4+), while Golden-crowns predominated at the Scenic River Trail (5)
Bluebirds - starting to flock up, with 10 at River Bluff and 6 at Big
Meadow (next to Scenic River Trail)
CedarWaxwings - small flocks at many locations; a not-so-small flock of 50
was at Antrim Lake
Sparrows - Fields still at River Bluff & Scenic River Trail, and the latter
also had Swamp and White-crowns
PurpleFinches - singles were at OlentangyNature Trail, RiverBluff, and
Scenic River Trail
PineSiskins - 2 were with a flock of Goldfinches at River Bluff