OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2018 09:05:24 -0500
Hi,

This morning I photographed one of the breeding male Dark-eyed Juncos we
banded during the breeding season here on Gildersleeve Mountain.  Thus far
we have found and photographed banded birds in 3 of our 4 banding
locations.  All very close to the place where they were banded. So at least
this year, we have evidence that some males did not migrate and stayed very
close to their breeding territory.

This spring and summer we hope to find a way that will enable us to band
females and fledglings.

We have allocated 5 years for our field work and this should give us a good
idea of breeding bird residency and site fidelity.  If we can band
fledglings we will learn even more about our breeding Junco population.

Haans