OHIO-BIRDS Archives

May 2022

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2022 21:23:27 -0400
I forgot to mention in my prev post that I heard a Willow FC at Blacklick this morning.

A quick afternoon walk at Denison turned into a longer one. Remind me to eat dinner before I do these walks!

Picked up a few more species for the day including 3 more warblers making it a 21 warbler species day.

Blue-winged (h)
Prairie (h)
Kentucky—I heard its call note near one of the nest areas they’ve used the last couple years and was finally rewarded by a great, if brief, look. Such a snazzy warbler.

Other warblers
Chestnut-sided
Yellow (h)
Com YT (h)
N Parula
Magnolia

New for day:
Indigo Bunting female
White-throated Sparrow (1)
Field Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Empid (teardrop-shaped eye ring, silent)
Tree Swallows

Scarlet Tanager
Great-crested FC
Pewee
Wood Duck

Biggest surprise was as I was about to leave about 7pm, a Barred Owl sounded off. It was quite loud & must have been fairly close but I saw nothing. After a couple single calls, a duet started. Just amazing. I went back the way I had just walked but never spotted them nor did I hear them again. A non-birder couple were closer to where the calls seemed to come from but they didn’t see anything. V cool! As Charles Bombaci said in his post today, you just never know what nature will hand out on any given day!

Awhile later, I heard crows off in the distance but it didn’t seem like intense mobbing.

Worth a late dinner!

Peggy Wang
Granville

Sent from my iPhone