OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Felix Stabreit <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Felix Stabreit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2018 01:37:48 +0000
 Those are probably the young Bald Eagles. They have been hanging around the past couple of years and are most likely offspring from the three successful nesting seasons at Berliner Park. Last year, I saw the adult eagles tangle with the young eagles several times to get them away from their nest. I have seen one this year at Berliner Park.    On Thursday, March 15, 2018, 5:40:19 PM EDT, Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

 I was at Scioto Audubon earlier in the week and had 1-2 eagles between
Scioto Audubon and Berliner Parks.  But several folks have mentioned
several immatures hanging out, ostensibly from a downstream nest of the
prior year.  The most recent communication (today, 3-15) put it like this:

"Hi, Rob, I wonder if you'd be willing to post information from an
observation made yesterday in Cols: easily visible from the boat launch and
to the right at Scioto Audubon park were three young golden eagles in the
shallows across the river, cavorting and flying around, washing lunch in
the river. Have seen these earlier in the fall, and thought they were just
passing through. Talked with some park folks, who said these were the young
from an adult pair with a nest "visible from the golf course" to the south.
We looked around there, and there was plenty of habitat but we couldn't
find a nest and frankly if we want these birds to stick around it would be
stupid to disturb them."

I suspect that they meant to say Bald Eagles, but perhaps the report is
rarer than I give it credit.  Others may want to check the boat launch area
over the next day or so.