OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2011

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Oct 2011 12:16:59 -0400
I stopped by Alum Creek Dam today to see if I could find a loon.  I seem
to remember that someone reported seeing one there last weekend.  I didn't
find a loon but I did find four American coots and a pied-billed grebe.

Then I headed over to the beach and found three herring gulls mixed in
with a large flock of ring-billed gulls, numerous killdeer, horned larks,
and a Canada goose.  I didn't see any ducks at all but I did see some duck
hunters.  The ducks probably saw them too and decided to go to Hoover or
some other place.

The highlight of the day was about a dozen tree swallows flying south
along the beach, skimming the water as they went.  Most were first year
females but I saw an adult male with them too.

This is the latest I've ever seen tree swallows in Ohio before.  What is
the latest anyone has ever seen them here?

Al La Sala
Columbus, OH