OHIO-BIRDS Archives

May 2022

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Matt Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 May 2022 20:35:01 -0400
Hi Peggy,  Thanks for the update on the trumpeter swans at Dillon wildlife area(licking county section).
I have been monitoring the pair since I found them there in late March, this is the first nesting attempt
in licking county. The female is buried back in the corner out of viewing range. I observed her from the
wooded hillside at the far back end of the wetland on an occupied nest. Aside from mutes, the other
2 white swans are "harder"
to find in licking county, and usually only a few are reported in winter each year.  Usually this wetland is
occupied by nesting mutes, which I actually watched the trumpeters chase a single mute off a few weeks
 ago.

Please report also if you see the common mergansers in that area, Im also trying to confirm first licking \
county nesting for that species, all though they most likely certainly have for years no on has ever seen
young.

thanks. Matt Mason