OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2023

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2023 17:46:06 -0500
I was out today trying to scrounge a few more Jan birds and picked up a few.

At Pick Ponds, I saw a few Lesser Scaup and 2 flyover, calling Tundra Swans at Wood Duck. Nothing unexpected at the feeders—a few Tree Sparrows were nice. 2 adult Bald Eagles were perched out from the Glacier Knoll Platform. A pair of Red-trailers were cozied up on a branch together. Other waterfowl: N Shoveler, Mallards, Ring-necked, Hooded Mergs, Canada Geese, Mute Swans, Black Duck.

I was going to head to Blendon Woods to hopefully get the purple finches reported there but there was a huge backup of traffic on Brice Rd leading to the interstate with several police cars headed that way so I decided to turn around and go to tall pines instead. No purple finches there, but I had a N Mockingbird by the trail by the feeders and also good looks at the Black-capped Chickadee. Otherwise, it was the same birds I‘d seen the other day plus more Tree Sparrows: E Towhee, Red-breasted Nuthatch, turkey, robins, WT & Song Sparrows plus the usual feeder birds. The goldfinches are getting a little brighter. I did not see the Fox Sparrow I’d seen previously. Kestrels on the wires on the drive. Large groups of crows around.

An afternoon walk at Denison yesterday was picturesque but quiet bird-wise altho I saw my first Tree Sparrows for the season for Denison. Robins & a few burbling bluebirds were around.

Peggy Wang
Granville
Sent from my iPad