OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2008

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2008 21:00:03 -0700
Hey all -

With listserve activity slow, but shorebird migration
in full swing, I thought that I would impose a photo
quiz of sorts.  Well, it is not your typical photo
quiz, as I don't have a definite answer for the
participants...but here is the scenario - the
following photo set depicts a peep sp. observed at
Lorain Impoundment both Sat. & Sun. (7/26-27).  I
spent quite a bit of time observing the bird in person
both days, and continued to ponder it after the fact.
Rather than type a lengthy description, I thought I
would post the photos taken.  Though not of Arthur
Morris quality, most key key marks can be  seen well
in the pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28939750@N05/

Basically, the bird is a toss-up between
Western/Semipalmated Sandpipers...I will say that my
conclusion is that it represents a Semipalmated
Sandpiper at the extreme end of the spectrum in size,
plumage, and definitely bill size & structure, as
these birds are quite variable within themselves.
Also, seeing the bird in person I can vouch for the
fact that it had not one rufous feather on its body,
though the lighting in some pictures may make it
appear so.  I am, however, often conservative in
situations like this and I invite Ohio shorebird buffs
to chime in.

Cheers -
Gabe Leidy
Cleveland