OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2008

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sheryl Young <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 9 Jul 2008 15:58:51 -0400610_ISO-8859-1 A quick comment about the recent Black-necked Stilt phenomenon...

So far this year, pairs of Black-necked Stilts have turned up in 3
counties (as far as I can determine from the electronic record).
Marion, Hardin, and Seneca counties have had pairs from late-May until
now. In mid-May, a stilt showed up in southwestern Lorain County.
From all that I've been able to gather, there may be at least two
pairs of birds that have attempted to or are in the process of nesting
at the Seneca County site. Might there be other areas in Ohio
harboring this amazing species? [...]37_9Jul200815:58:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2008 23:02:52 EDT
About 6 PM today, I stopped by the pump house impoundment at Pickerel Creek
hoping to see the avocet again.   I was disappointed to find that  the area
was pumped almost dry (and the pump was still running, trying to get  the last
of it).  The only shorebirds present were 5 Least Sandpipers and  some
Killdeers.  One good thing - large numbers of carp were killed so  maybe that is why
it was drained.  Hopefully, water will be returned soon  to provide shorebird
habitat during migration.

I then put my kayak in Pickerel Creek where it crosses Rt 2 and  paddled to
the bay.  The highlights of the trip were watching a singing  White-eyed Vireo
along the creek and having a pair of very active Belted  Kingfishers at the
mouth of the creek.

About 8:00 PM I went to the Orchid parking lot in search of the Sedge  Wren.
I had heard it earlier this month but tonight I had two great looks  at it
perched in a small bare tree doing its buzzy insect-like call.

My ebird list of birds follows.

Sheryl Young
Sandusky

Location:     Pickerel Creek Wildlife Area
Observation  date:     7/14/08
Notes:     Many species seen  while kayaking Pickerel Creek to the bay.
Sedge Wren perched in a small  bare tree for some great looks!
Number of species:      40

Mallard     X
Hooded Merganser      X
Ruddy Duck     X