OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2018 18:36:22 -0500
Hi,

As some may realize I have more than just a passing interest in our
breeding Dark-eyed Junco population. As a result I was dismayed that an
otherwise excellent article about the Dark-eyed Junco in the latest issue
of the Division of Wildlife's Wild Ohio Magazine says the Ohio breeding
population is limited to 25-30 pairs.

These are old data from Peterjohn's Birds of Ohio and do not take into
account the population explosion of breeding Juncos as documented by the
Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas Two Project.  Confirmed breeding expanded from two
blocks in the original OBBA to more than twenty in the contemporary study.
My own estimate is there are likely several thousand breeding pairs in the
very limited breeding range.  In appropriate habitat, the breeding
population is very dense with as many as 3 pairs per acre.

Wild Ohio is an excellent magazine and is published quarterly.
Subscriptions are just $15 per year and well worth it. The current issue
also has an article of Ruffed Grouse and how their decline is linked to
reforestation and forest management practices.

Your subscription also supports Ohio Wildlife Areas like Magee Marsh.  You
can subscribe online and while you are at it why not also get a wildlife
legacy stamp to contribute to true habitat conservation in the state?

Haans

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>