OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cole DiFabio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cole DiFabio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2018 15:10:30 -0500
Good afternoon,

This morning, while birding my second favorite local patch of Ohio, Hueston
Woods State Park, I heard the call notes of a Common Redpoll. I turned and
not only saw the Redpoll flying towards me, only about 20 feet off the
ground, but a Merlin was in close pursuit! The falcon gave chase for about
15 seconds until I lost both of them over a treeline. After about a minute,
I heard the Redpoll making numerous calls, so I recorded it. I could not
locate the bird while it was calling, but after a 30-second recording was
obtained, the Redpoll circled up over the parking lot a few times, then
took off southwest, not to be seen or heard again.

This observation marks the first eBirded Common Redpoll in Preble County (I
was at the beach parking lot at the time). This is also, by far, the
furthest south a Redpoll has been reported in the state this winter.

--
Cole DiFabio