OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2015

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Judith Espedal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Judith Espedal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 2015 09:52:12 -0800
We took the dog and my binoculars to both parks this morning (the lagoon side of Eastwood). At Huffman there were hundreds of geese even though only a small part of the lake was open water. The 7 mute swans are still hanging out there, along with some mallards. We did not have a scope with us (awkward with the dog) so I could not identify more distant birds. Some of the geese were smaller than others, but I am not good at telling lesser Canadas from Cacklings. All the vocalizations I heard were Canada geese, however. I just listened to cackling geese online (not included on any of my 3 bird sound CDs) and I did not hear that sound at the lake. There was also one great-blue heron that flew up from a perch in a tree.
Because the paved areas by the end of Huffman were icy and not good for walking the dog on we then went over to the lagoon side of Eastwood MetroPark. We walked along the river and saw a lot more Canada geese, some mallards, and redheads.

On the lagoon side in an area of open water there were yet more geese and mallards, but also a pair of hooded mergansers and some female common goldeneyes.