OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2011

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Gentleben <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gentleben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Oct 2011 18:28:57 -0400
There are at least two, most likely more, Nelson's Sparrows (formerly known as Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrows) at the newer Wetland Area at Batelle Darby Metro Park, western Franklin County. It takes a little work to find them but it is do-able once you see one that lovely orange breast, sides and face with a white belly and fine streaking is easy on the eyes. Most of the sparrows you will encounter are Savannah Sparrows, there were also about dozen Swamp Sparrows, a couple Grasshopper Sparrows, Vesper, and Song Sparrows as well. I didn't find any today with my limited time, but it seems to be a good spot for Le Conte's to be found.
The Nelson's Sparrow is fond of the Cattails around the mostly dry (now) wetlands that have lots of "Pink Lady's Thumb" or Smartweed flowers mixed in on the edges in the grasses or in the cattails. Below is instructions I partly plagarized from Phillip North's post on getting to the place and I've added details on the more exact locale of the Nelson's Today:
Going South on Darby Creek Drive from Highway 40(Broad Street)

Go past Kuhlwein Rd on the East and then over the Bike path crossing.
Ahead you will see several large Aluminium Grain Storage Bins on the East
side of the road. Pull in at the Grain Storage Bins and you can park
there.
There are several wide mowed trails going East and North of this area and
the north bound trail takes you past the larger of the ponds. The trail that leads to the north first on
your left is a loop that goes around the large pond to the north where many shorebirds have been
lately. If you keep going straight past that you will get to the back of the loop, where the Nelson's were today,
 that goes north on the east side of the large pond. About a quarter mile down this northward trail in the
lower cattails to your right (east) was where we got great looks at two Nelson's Sparrows. Watch for their
fluttery weak flight style and they usually perch up about half way up a cattail stand/weed if they perch up at all.
Sometimes a whistled sparrow squeak can encourage them to check you out. Be patient and don't just barge in
in on them and you can get a good look if you're on the right spot. If in doubt Investigate all sparrows and be patient.
Also, early, near the break of dawn, is the best time to find sparrows as they perch up higher than the rest of the
day and are more easily seen as you walk by, they seem curious to see whats going by.
Good luck if you go, definitely a stunningly beautiful and very "cute" sparrow to view.
Check out www.metroparks.net for a map of the area; though this newer wetlands and mowed trail hasn't been put on
the map yet.
Some of the other birds in the area were many Killdeer, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Black-bellied and American
Golden Plover, Stilt Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper, Northern Harrier, American Coot, Am. Black Duck, Mallard, Northern Pintail,
Blue and Green winged Teal, Horned Larks, and other typical open/grassland birds.
Good Birding
- Ben Warner