OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2011

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 2011 21:46:38 -0400
    After a five day, unplanned visit to the hospital; my wife Denise, thought it would be a good idea for me to get out and have some fun to help with my recuperation. Yesterday we went and saw "The Big Year" movie, thoroughly enjoying it! This afternoon we decided on a little relaxation at the beach. Only a dedicated birder could have appreciated the brutal winds and rain. No tan today! We were in the Conneaut Harbor Basin Area from 2PM to 5PM. Even with the weather conditions, we did record 24 species of birds. Sightings of interest at The Sandspit were: 1 Little Gull adult in non-breeding plumage up close, 1 Western Sandpiper, 24+ Dunlin, 28+ Sanderling, 62+ Bonaparte's Gull, 1 Great Black-backed Gull adult up close, 2 Fortster's Tern, 1 Black-crowned Night-Heron juvenile, 4 Bald Eagle juveniles, and the Conneaut Swamphen (resident female Ring-necked Pheasant). At The Platform Lagoon were: 12 Gadwall, 2 American Wigeon,  5 Pied-billed Grebe, and 4 American Coot. A word of caution if you plan to visit. After the storms of the past week; debris, huge chunks of driftwood, and old tires are strewn everywhere. Vehicular access along the normal course around the bay is impossible, you must go to the higher sand which is very soft and rutted. I would not recommend a normal car trying it. If you are a brave soul, you might go for it without four wheel drive. If you can make it out to the main part of the sandspit, it is fine. Bob Lane