OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2018 18:32:33 -0400
I continued on my visits to local reservoirs, taking a few hours this
afternoon to hit sites around the lower portion of Alum Creek reservoir
(the dam, New Galena, SummerRidge, Cheshire, Berlin Station, and Old Lewis
Road).  Waterfowl were the stars, with most sites having small and
occasionally large flocks.  Berlin Station had the largest flocks, but most
sites had interesting stuff.  Included in the totals were:

Dabblers - decidedly few, with Mallards predominant, but also Gadwalls &
Green-wings

Divers - flocks of scaup in many places, with perhaps 500+ in total (Berlin
Station had nearly 200 of those).  Also small #s of Ring-necks and
Redheads.  Buffleheads numbered perhaps 60+

Mergansers - had a few Hoodies and i Common (at Berlin Station), but
Red-breasteds were the show, with nearly 200 (Berlin Station had half of
that).

OtherWaterfowl - the big flock of Coots (140+) continues at New Galena.
Horned Grebes were at every site, usually in small #s, while Pied-bills
were at 3 sites.  7 Cormorants were at Berlin Station

Gulls - 250+ Ring-bills, with much smaller #s of Herring and Bonies
Barred Owl - 1 was calling at the Cheshire boat launch, probably wandering
from the forested ravines of the nearby mountain bike trail.
Tree Swallows - very few, with only 2-3 around the dam
Yellow-rumped Warblers- surprisingly widespread, with 1-2 at most spots
Blackbirds - no Rusties, but small #s of Redwings, grackles, and cowbirds
at most sites