OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2008 00:55:13 -0700
Hello All,
     Well, it was a very long day, but with some very good Ohio birds! I left the Columbus area this morning at 5:30 AM for the monthly Ottawa NWR census and with hopes of recovering some of the "harder to see" Ohio birds that were reported on the auto tour in mid-May while I was chasing a Tufted Flycatcher in AZ. I thoroughly enjoyed the census work and camaraderie, but we missed the Yellow-headed Blackbird, Ibises, etc. that had been seen on the earlier auto tours. The total survey species seen/heard was probably around 70 including a Least Bittern and Alder Flycatcher. Before we headed out in the morning, I learned from another birder that the Tri-colored Heron near Bellevue had been seen yesterday, so after the census I headed for the flooded fields just W of Bellevue, and a bit to the N. This bird has been seen for about a week now on CR 308 which runs N off of SR 20, just W of Bellevue. This flooded field is a
 couple miles N of SR 20, and on the the W side of 308 near a large brick tudor-style house that is back some distance from the road. When I arrived there at about 6:30 PM, I met Rob and Sandy Harlan who had the bird in their scope for some great looks. They had been birding the area for several hours and had also found an Eared Grebe in breeding plumage, and a Marbled Godwit; both within about 3 miles of the TC heron location. The EAGR was in a very large flooded area (both sides of the road) on CR 205, two blocks SW of 308. For the Godwit, continue W to CR 288, turn N to CR 175, then turn left (West). Check the next flooded field on the left/South side of this road.
     During the Ottawa survey, I had received several phone calls (many thanks to each of you!) about the Black Rail, discovered early Sunday morning at Charlie's Pond, South of Circleville (see directions from an earlier post by Paul Gardner). After arriving back in Columbus at about 10:00 PM, I met Doreene Linzell and we headed to Charlie's Pond in hopes of hearing/seeing this Ohio rarity. We were not disappointed as it was calling upon our arrival... a new State Life bird for both of us! We listened, under a beautiful star-lit sky, as the bird called almost continually for the next 45 minutes or so. At one point, it seemed as if there were two simultaneous calls, and later we were pretty certain that calls were coming from two different locations. At least two others birders I've talked with have indicated that there may be two birds here. I'm not sure what this may mean, and only time will tell.
    Total miles = 400+; Total hours = 20+; Total experience = Fantastic!

Good luck and Good Birding,
Dan

Dan Sanders
Powell, OH 43065
614-596-5666

"When a man destroys a piece of art we call him a vandal; when he destroys
a work of nature we call him a developer." Anonymous