OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Oct 2018 21:04:20 -0400
I stopped at several spots along the shore of Alum Creek Lake this morning
before the wind picked up to levels that discouraged birding.  Waterfowl
season here discouraged most waterbirds, and Neotropicals are largely gone,
but a mix of vultures, raptors, and diurnal temperate migrants could be
found.  New Galena boat launch was the best spot, but I also stopped at
SummerRidge access, Cheshire boat launch, Old State Rd Point, and the east
Dam area.  Notables included:

Turkey Vultures - small groups all along the reservoir shore, plus more on
the drive home
Raptors - Sharpie & Coopers at New Galena, along with a flyby Bald Eagle.
Gulls - Ring-bills at many locations, but also had 5-6 Bonapartes off the
dam
Coots - a dense flock of 165 birds was out in the southern reservoir off
New Galena
Flickers - good movement, with birds at many locations; New Galena had 5-6
BlueJays - minimal movement, with small flocks at many locations
Red-br.Nuthatch - still one hanging around the New Galena boat launch area
Cedar Waxwings - small flocks at many locations, picking over the last of
the berry crop
Starlings - normally not too noticeable here, but today had many flocks
moving down the reservoir
Kinglets - single Ruby-crowns at several spots
Warblers - nothing but Yellow-rumps, and no great numbers of them
Sparrows - plenty of White-throats and Songs, but also had a Swamp at
SummerRidge
Blackbirds - small groups of Redwings and Grackles moving down the
shoreline at several places