OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2017

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2017 02:12:18 +0000
 Today I was looking for ducks along the shoreline starting at the Lakeside Dock and moving along the shore just east of Lakeside.  I did see small numbers of Red-breasted Mergansers and about 17 Bufflehead.  Then I went to the far southeastern tip of the peninsula (mile south of Marblehead Lighthouse) and parked the car on the gravel pulloff.  Apparently, this is called Lake Point Park which includes the quarry park west of the road and the pulloff east of the road.  I was still seeing only about four dozen Red-breasted Mergansers but after a short while a female White-winged Scoter was slowly swimming south straight out from my car.  After awhile it started to feed.  Wasn't sure I was ever going to see any scoters over this way.
Then after stopping at a few other places I stopped at Mazurik Access Area which is a boat launch area just west of Lakeside in Danbury Twp from 11:45 to 12:55am. There were about eight Common Loons and only a few Red-breasted Mergansers.  As I was standing on the east side of the breakwall entranceway I could hear finch sounds.  There were Goldfinch flying from the trees east of the walkway and landing along the rocks and the smaller trees.  But there were close to 24 Pine Siskins flying around also and they were landing in the much taller trees along the south side just west of the concrete walkway entrance.  All of this is east of the boat launch area. Then it started to rain heavily.  I waited in the car for awhile but then when the rain stopped I realized the Siskins they were still hanging around and feeding in the grassy/weeds on the edge of the trees that are east of the breakwall entrance area very near the green fence near a house on the shore. They were also feeding along the pine trees along the east side of the park. Then they were flying from tree to tree much further from the water but on the east side of this ODNR park.  This park has a very reliable goldfinch population most of the time. I almost went to this park earlier this morning but decided to stop there later as there were many people walking around at the time and it was probably better that it was going to rain when I got there.
Nancy Anderson, Danbury Twp, Lakeside Marblehead area,https://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/