OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2022

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2022 15:43:47 -0400
Blackburnian, Magnolia, redstarts, RE Vireos, Bay breasted, black and white, pewees,
Brown Thrashers, and hummingbirds too numerous to count accurately! Swainsons Thrush. Etc. This was at the Withrow nature preserve. Not a place Mary C. or I was
Familiar with in the fall. Thankfully we ran into Ric and Tom! Right at the passerine
Hotspot! Good to get that local knowledge!

What was supposed to be just a morning outing turned into 3/4 of the day. I chased
The Baird’s at Lodge pond - Fernald. No success. Wood ducks are staging there in
Nice numbers. And a Virginia Rail sounded off. Always a treat. But I would have
Preferred the Baird’s…..

Should have headed home after that, but figured there had to be something at
Lost Bridge. Well, there was…… a Peregrine harassing the shorebirds! Annoying!
Could never find that shorebird flock on the ground. I did what I could with it in
The air. Still Least Sandpipers at the bridge. And the Sanderling was still around -
From another birder. The Leasts were so close to the bridge that I wonder if
Shorebirds weren't under the bridge feeding. Would probably be safer that way!

Not the day that Bob had!

Good birding all. I am back at Fernald Sat for their walk. Then a Sept. Bufflehead!

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini