OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2015

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2015 19:53:08 -0500
I hit several Cleveland area hot spots along Lake Erie today. Started at
Eastlake Power Plant from 11am-noon. Open water there held 11 species of
waterfowl, including both species of scaup and one female black scoter. I
did not see the harlequin or long-tailed duck, but that does not mean they
were not there. Only gulls I saw were ring-billed, herring and greater
black backed.

E. 72nd street was totally frozen, so did not stop. Wendy Park held
thousands of gulls, but far fewer waterfowl (only 6 species). After much
looking among the gulls, I found one adult glaucous gull on the river among
other gulls. This group was upstream under the first bridge. I got very
good scope looks at the adult glaucous.

Last stop was the fishing pier at Avon power plant. Numbers of gulls and
waterfowl there were much smaller (7 species of waterfowl). A pair of black
ducks there were the only blacks seen. Unfortunately, there were three guys
in a boat out on the water there setting goose decoys, which probably
explained the low numbers of gulls and waterfowl.

In summary, Eastlake was great, but the other areas were slower. Best finds
of the day were the adult glaucous gull at Wendy and the female black
scoter at Eastlake.
Randy Rowe, Wooster