OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2017

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Roger Troutman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roger Troutman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2017 15:18:13 -0500
Hi all,
​

Since there is apparent interest on this list about the activities of
Lawrence Hicks, I offer the following data on Christmas Bird Counts he
participated in.

 In total he participated a total of 85 times on 11 different counts of
which he was the compiler for 31 of them.

 Up until the time of his death he was ranked as #1 in CBC participation in
Ohio. The next closest person had attended "only" 58 times.

 He and his fellow participants recorded a total of 166 species (and races)
of Ohio's CBC birds of the 198 species (and races) seen up to the time of
his death.

*# of counts*

*First Count *

*Last Count*

*Count Name*

22

1935

1956

Ashtabula

23

1934

1956

Buckeye Lake

9

1927

1956

Columbus

9

1924

1933

Fredericktown

1

1956

1956

Hoover Reservoir

4

1953

1956

Indian Lake

1

1953

1953

Marietta

1

1956

1956

O'Shaughnessy Reservoir

11

1944

1954

Sugar Grove

2

1951

1953

Utica

2

1934

1935

Zanesville

Data extracted and interpreted from *Bird-Lore* and *Audubon Field Notes*
as publications of the National Audubon Society

Roger Troutman

Mansfield, Ohio
​