OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2018 16:18:30 -0400
I stopped at Pickerington Ponds this morning before the rain got serious,
but didn't find much unusual for the date.  I couldn't re-locate the
Yellow-crowned night Heron reported a few days ago, and even ran into Irina
(who reported it) who couldn't relocate it either.  Ellis Pond is high, but
most of the other ponds are shallow and showing mudflats, which produced
some herons and shorebirds.  Notables included:

Herons,Egrets - Great Egrets & Great Blues were at almost every pool,
though nowhere in big numbers.  Greenwing Pond had 3 Green Herons.

Shorebirds - difficult to see with the tall vegetation, but I did find
small flocks that included 15+ Killdeer, 4 Lesser yellowlegs, 2
Semipalmated Sandpipers, 1 Pectoral, and 1 Least Sandpiper

Osprey - an adult was in a tree studiously ignoring 2 juveniles on the nest
platform at Arrowhead Marsh (off Glacier Knoll)

Swallows - flocks of Rough-winged and Barns were perched on wires in the
drizzle, along with a group of 15 Purple Martins

Flycatchers - no big movement of them yet, but did still have Willows in
several fields, a family group of E.Kingbirds at Ellis Pond, and a calling
great Crested off the Meadowlark Trail

Blackbirds - hardly any left here, with only a handful of Redwings around
the Wood Duck picnic area, and no grackles anywhere.