OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2018 15:36:56 -0400
Stops at several spots along the Big Walnut valley found some migrants,
mostly active in the early morning.  I started at Woodside Green park in
Gahanna, where I had the most success, and later visited Hoover Dam Park
and Blendon Woods.  I also stopped at different areas of Hoover & Blendon
yesterday.  Notables included:

Ducks - nothing unusual, but 30 Wood Ducks at Thoreau Lake seemed a good
number there.
WildTurkeys - aside from the expected birds at Blendon, a bird was in
Walnut Ravine at Hoover (AreaS)
Osprey - 1 was flying down the creek in Woodside Green
Red-shouldered Hawk - an adult was calling in Walnut Ravine at Hoover (Area
S) yesterday
Herons - Great Blues were at many locations, but the only Green Herons were
at Thoreau Lake.  I couldn't relocate the Black-cr.Night Heron seen there
today.
Shorebirds - Thoreau Lake is low due to its annual draw-down, but so far
had attracted only Killdeer and Solitary Sandpipers
Flycatchers - E.WoodPewees were abundant, with 6-8 at every site.  Also
seen were E.Phoebes, Great Crested Flycatcher, and Acadian Flycatcher
Vireos - Red-eyed were common at all sites, and also had Warbling at
Woodside Green
Swallows - hardly any, with only a few Barns at Hoover and Blendon
Thrushes - nothing yet other than resident Bluebirds and Robins
Warblers - small clusters at Woodside Green included 2 Magnolia, 2
Chestnut-sided, 1 Black-thr.Green, 1 Blackpoll, and 1 Canada.  Hoover
chipped in a Yellow-throated, while Blendon Woods added a Redstart.
Orioles - the only one was a female at Woodside Green

If you've thrilled to hunting warblers along the Streamside and Hickory
Ridge Trails at Blendon, you might want to avoid the area this fall.  For
murky reasons, the park staff cleared away much of the understory
vegetation along those trails, leaving them rather sterile.  Not even
considering the erasure of many locally-rare plants, the stated reasons for
doing this (invasive removal, safely concerns) seem flimsy, especially
considering that they missed several large areas of invasives on these
heavily-used trails.  If you do visit these trails, and find them as
denuded as many of us have, please make your concerns known to the park
staff and managers.  It's only if they get some push-back from their
'stakeholders' that they'll deign to ask our input in the future.