OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2015

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2015 13:46:55 +0000
A quick stop by Summit Lake yesterday produced a small sampling of waterfowl. Most of the Portage Lakes are still frozen. Ice fisherman still out on Nimisila - no open water there.
Summit Lake still has plenty of American Coots. Also seen were 3 Redhead (all drakes), 2 Lesser Scaup (drake & hen), 1 Hooded Merganser (female) & 5 Ruddy Duck. There was a lone Northern Shoveler (drake) there last week, but he apparently moved on.
In the Ohio & Erie Canal at Manchester Rd. near Nesmith Lake there is the usual sliver of open water & it held 2 Trumpeter Swan, 2 Mute Swan, 1 male Wood Duck & 1 Muscovy (for those of you adding escapes/exotics to your lists).
Meanwhile, down in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park we had 1 adult Bald Eagle near Ira Rd. (There is a dead doe on the sandbar at the Ira Rd. bridge & he may be feeding on it, as I've had crows & a Red-shouldered Hawk feeding on it on my lunch break all last week). Meanwhile, at the Bolanz Rd. bridge, looking north on the Cuyahoga River at the mouth of Furnace Run, there has been a nice congregation of Common Mergansers. Had as many as 22 last week during my lunch break, with a low of 6 yesterday. Also present on Thursday during my lunch break was a lone Ruddy Duck - a difficult duck to get in the CVNP at any time. At the Bath Rd. bridge over the Cuyahoga River looking south towards the Akron Water Pollution Station's warm water outflow was the usual mass of Mallards but also a lone female Wood Duck.
Doug & Michelle Vogus (in - but not limited to - the Cuyahoga Valley, Akron, Oh.)