OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2023

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 2023 15:56:55 -0400
I had dipped on the Limpkin yesterday afternoon (3-5pm) so I was v happy I made the drive for a third time this morning. (I’d seen it briefly in flight Thursday but no photos.) It was feeding in open water as I walked up & soon after, I watched it carry a large snail into the reeds. After disappearing briefly, it came back w/o the snail & it wasn’t long before it fished out a v large clam covered in mud. Again the Limpkin carried it over to the reeds but I was able to see it thru some reeds as it worked at prying the clam open, finally extricating it, then down the hatch it went—v cool! Then the bird came out to do some more hunting before it flew to the other side of the reeds.

I hung out for awhile after the Limpkin flew out of sight around 10am hoping the it would fly back (or at least call—I’ve never heard one vocalize so I was really hoping for that!) into easy viewing from the N dike but it stayed on the other side of the reeds. I walked out the other dike and had scope views of it preening & snoozing on the edge of the reeds below the B&B property. I left as a photographer was breaking off branches from a low shrub he said were obstructing his camera view…

I had a flyby Solitary SP from the N dike, my first for fall. Two imm Little Blue Herons, 1 Great Egret, a couple Great Blues & Green Herons are in the same area. Many Wood Ducks and mallards. DC Cormorants. Heard a couple YB Cuckoos nearby when I first arrived but couldn’t spot either of them. E Phoebe.

A pair of kingfishers were active in the area and one seemed to dive-bomb the Limpkin, startling it briefly but perhaps it just chose to dive for a fish right next to the Limpkin.

I stopped by Clear Creek even though high noon is obviously not a great time to bird but an Ovenbird popped up in front of me along a roadside & as I was enjoying it (presumed it’s a resident bird?), I saw some movement behind it: a lovely female Blackburnian! Heard a La WT but v quiet overall.

Nice morning of birding!

Peggy Wang
Granville
Sent from my iPad