OHIO-BIRDS Archives

April 2023

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2023 11:48:56 -0400
The target bird was hanging out in front of the viewing platform when I arrived—not super close but about in the middle showing beautifully in the morning sun. It preened awhile then swam around in the company of a female wigeon before the pair flew towards the blind. I refound the male by itself from the blind but it was hard to see in the glare of the sun off the water.

The female’s head did not look particularly reddish, more grayish like an American Wigeon but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a female Eurasian so I’ll have to look if at my photos & see if I can draw any definite conclusions.

My OH Eur Wigeon was at some distance, at Nimisila Res I believe, but this was a much better look. Lovely bird.

Osprey were putting on a good show & a Cooper’s flew in. One adult Bald Eagle was on the nest.

I got my FOS Purple Martin, Great Egret & Greater Yellowlegs.

Other waterfowl:
Blue-winged Teal
Green-winged Teal
Gadwall