OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Sep 2018 20:31:00 -0400
I stopped at these two hotspots and found some semblance of migration,
though most of the activity was before 10 AM.  I first visited New Galena
and the Beach area at Alum Creek Lake, then drove to nearby Highbanks
MetroPark to hike the Coyote Run Trail.  Migrants were thin in number, but
I did have some flocks of birds at New Galena early, and along the
easternmost bend of the Coyote Run Trail.  Notables included:

Gulls & Terns - 3 Common Terns were in with a flock of 400+ Ring-billed
Gulls on the beach

Woodpeckers - a Red-headed Woodpecker was winging south over New Galena, a
regular occurrence there during migration

Flycatchers - not much other than a few E.WoodPewees

Vireos - 2 Philly Vireos at Alum Creek Lake (1 at New Galena, 1 near the
Visitors Center) were the stars, but also had White-eyed, Warbling, and
Yellow-throated.  Oddly, no Red-eyed.

Swallows - not a single one

Thrushes - a few Swainsons were at New Galena and Highbanks

Mimids - Catbirds were widespread, but not numerous.  Alum Creek Lake still
had 1 Brown Thrasher (near the Visitors Center)

Waxwings - small flocks of Cedars at New Galena and Highbanks

Warblers - Redstarts, Magnolias, and Blackpolls most common (which wasn't
saying much, since they were 3-4 each), but also had Tennessee (Highbanks),
Black-thr.Green, Black&White, Bay-breasted, and ComYellowthroat

Buntings,Grosbeaks - no buntings, but did have 2 Rose-br.Grosbeaks at
Highbanks

Tanagers - 1 Summer was calling along the eastern end of the Coyote Run
Trail at Highbanks