OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2009

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Aug 2009 23:11:58 -0400
This evening proved to be a perfect end to a delightful weekend.  With
sunset about 8:15pm tonight, I arrived about 7:45 to Sells Middle School in
Dublin Ohio.  I drove behind the school at the flashing light off 161/33E
and parked behind the school in front of the tennis courts facing the back
of the school.

7:58pm the first 15 to 20 swifts arrived

8:02pm several of the now 40 birds began dipping at the chimney

8:04 clockwise flight of about 50 birds

8:05 counter clockwise flight

8:08 the first bird went in

8:15 about 40 birds are now in the chimney

8:16 over 100 entered

8:17 heard and saw the Dublin nighthawk flying over the Scioto River area
near 161

8:20 each minute somewhere between 75 to 100 birds are entering the tall
chimney

Between 8:30 and 8:34 when the last bird entered nearly between 550 and 600
birds appeared sucked into the chimney

Best estimations were between 1275 to 1300 birds were spending the night in
the 1919 school building chimney.

Sept 11, 12 and 13 are the Sept count dates for Chimney Swift (Driftwood)
data collection.

I plan to arrive at the Sells Middle School site by 7pm to count swifts for
Driftwood.  If you are in the area plan to join me.

Thanks,

Darlene Sillick

Powell, Ohio
<http://cmpgnr.com/r.html?c=1515369&r=1514028&t=949361437&l=1&d=91149571&u=h
ttp%3a%2f%2fwww%2eChimneySwifts%2eorg&g=0&f=-1> wI plan to
ararrivww.ChimneySwifts.org

It is time for A Swift Night Out September 2009!

Greetings!

For the nineth year, the Driftwood Wildlife Association will be hosting:

"A SWIFT NIGHT OUT"

As summer draws to a close and the swifts have finished raising their young,
these fascinating aerial acrobats begin to congregate in communal roosts
prior to their migration in the fall. Some roosts may consist of an extended
family group of a half a dozen birds or so, but the larger sites can host
hundreds or even thousands of swifts! We encourage you to involve your local
Audubon chapters, bird clubs, scout groups and neighbors in this
exhilarating spectacle.

Here is how it works: Keep your eyes to the skies at dusk and watch for
areas where swifts are feeding. Look for a tall shaft, chimney or similar
structure to locate where Chimney Swifts (central to east coast) or Vaux's
Swift (Pacific coast) go to roost in your area.

On one night over the weekend of September 11, 12, 13 observe the roost
starting about 30 minutes before dusk and estimate the number of swifts that
enter. When you have your number, contact us with your results. That's all
there is to it!

Please pass this message along to any listserve or other groups that you
think might be interested.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Best Regards,

Paul and Georgean Kyle

Driftwood Wildlife Association
1206 West 38th, Suite 1105
Austin, TX 78705

Visit us at:

<http://cmpgnr.com/r.html?c=1515369&r=1514028&t=949361437&l=1&d=91149571&u=h
ttp%3a%2f%2fwww%2eChimneySwifts%2eorg&g=0&f=-1> www.ChimneySwifts.org

http://images.cmpgnr.com/948147214/para1236818329229.jpg

The latest issue (Volume 14) of our annual newsletter "Chaetura" is now on
line. There were many new towers added last year, so go to the "Newsletter"
link on our home page and check it out. Your tower may be featured!