OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2011

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Oct 2011 15:47:59 -0700
I was at Villa Angela and Wildwood State Parks today in Cleveland from 8:50 to after 2pm.  Mark Anderson arrived a little later and left after awhile.  I know many birds were seen by others yesterday but today there weren't the numbers of birds.  I saw a few good birds but I ran into Marian & Jeffrey Kraus and Rich & Karen Kassouf around noon and Marian showed me a beautiful picture of a GREATER WHITE-FRONT GOOSE that Karen first spotted around 10:30am.  It was east of the marina bldg in the cement launch area nobody uses.  People were feeding the birds near the beach and the goose was on the sandy area and then in the water with the Canada Geese.  After while they all flew to the west.  Inga Schmidt showed up and we spent some time a wild goose chase trying to find where Canada Goose would go and that didn't pan out.  I later returned from 4 to 5pm and no new geese had returned to the marina area.  So I will only post a few birds I saw today
 (except the goose) and I didn't count it all as I was preoccupied with geese.

Greater White-Front Goose 1 (only seen in Wildwood Marina by four others (see above)
American Black Ducks 3
Black-crowned Night-Heron 2 (adult and sub-adult) west side of creek north of bridge)
Cooper's Hawk 2 (on and around a nest one with sticks in its mouth)
Belted Kingfisher 1 or 2
Hairy Woodpecker 1, Flickers - few
Flycatcher 1 (looked like E. Wood Pewee)
Blue-headed Vireo 1 (wildwood by creek down aways from bridge)
Brown Creepers  -  8+
Winter Wrens 12+
Carolina Wren 1 calling in wildwood
Golden-crowned  15+ more numerous than Ruby-crowned today
Swain son's Thrush 12-15
Gray Catbirds - 2
Cedar Waxwings 5-6 flew over
Chimney Swift 1
Orange-crowned Warbler 1 probable- saw yellow under tail and bottom, olive bird with hint of white on side of wing - near vireo sighting
Nashville Warbler 1 only seen by Mark before I saw him
Yellow-rumped Warblers - few
Pine Warbler 1 (just west of bathhouse in pine trees & pines further west near fenceline of mobile home park - first heard the loud chip noise which it continually makes)
American Redstart 1
Eastern Towhee 1 calling ww
Chipping Sparrow 1
Field Sparrow 1
Fox Sparrow 1 (first I have seen here was beginning to wonder, in wet woods near lake VA)
Song Sparrows - 15+
Swamp Sparrows 3
White-throated Sparrows - did not count - good number
White-crowned Sparrows ~7
Dark-eyed Juncos - few

If I get a picture of the Goose I will try to put on Flickr in the future

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH