OHIO-BIRDS Archives

May 2021

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 May 2021 00:35:36 -0400
Thanks to everyone who responded with roads and locations! We succeeded
greatly! Jen Broome and Andrew joined me.

The consensus from the emails I received was Hamilton Rd. and the Eulet Center
along Waggoner Riffle Rd. We hit the Eulet Center during the late afternoon.
Exploring. And there is free wifi there! It's not the greatest but allowed me to
send and receive some texts! For those hitting this area - Edge of Appalachia -
for the first time - there is no cellular coverage. I am always unprepared the first
time to an area if no cell! But we managed with that Eulet Center guest wifi.
Print out a couple maps if the first time heading there.

I would say about 3/4 of a mile to a mile in from Rt. 125 along Hamilton Rd.
was the start of close nightjars. Whips and Chuck. We had Whips earlier, but
far from the rd.

The best Chucks were at the creek crossing. We had 2 here. One very close!

The moon was full and showing. Perfect. I didn't plan for that! I get lucky
now and then.

I had wanted to hit another spot after here to see what was calling, but that steep driveway at the Eulet center I didn't want to walk again. I am nursing a bad foot.....

A somewhat closer spot to Cin. was mentioned. Tranquility wildlife area, but birders said
Hamilton Rd. and Eulet center more reliable. I'll have to try this area next year!
So, we didn't end up anywhere else for nightjars besides Hamilton rd.

What I want to do in June is find a Whip closer to my house. All the ebird records
for this area are old. No Whips around here anymore? Range does change.

I hope to get back to edge of appalachia for breeding birds and botany. June maybe.

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini