OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2024

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Matt Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2024 07:04:20 -0500
Hi Everybody,

The homeowners in licking county had seen the tanager for a few weeks off and on. After they got a good enough photo they were able to Id the bird on their own using their sibley guide,  Looking for confirmation they reached out to wild birds unlimited.  The store encouraged them to post it to Facebook.  The local store employees were invited over to see the bird. Initial contact was made by the local  ebird reviewer, they agreed to let a few locals come who they knew the names from ebird and a Facebook photography page.

Unfortunately the property owners wish to not have their address  made public or open their yard up to the public at this time. They were overwhelmed with Facebook messages just asking "for the address".  As the home is in a subdivision, they have the usual concerns with their neighbors, parking and being overrun by a lot of people, also they worry about cars creeping down the road. They did choose to invite some people on their own who they recognized their names from helping them find a northern shrike at battelle a while back.

The effort was made to get the bird opened for everyone. Hopefully they may change their mind, they are very excited about the bird.
It appears things have gone smooth for them so far the way they are doing it.  I will update if the bird does become public. I do apologize this has not been able to happen so far.

Matt Mason,,,,Licking county