OHIO-BIRDS Archives

May 2022

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 May 2022 16:30:56 -0400
I spent several hours today at my old patch, clear creek. I didn’t expect it to be very birdy given the weather and I was correct about that but it was still quite enjoyable. My main focus was tracking down a Worm-eating Warbler which I had not seen this year and although I’ve heard Hooded Warblers, I haven’t actually seen one so I figured a visit to clear creek would take care of that.

I did manage to hear one Worm-eating singing but even though it seemed like it was fairly close, I never even saw movement. I usually have better luck seeing them after they’re out and about feeding young. Hoodeds were fairly easy to find and a lovely male perched & sang right in front of me. No KY tho—a bit unusual for me but it was getting hot by the time I reached the best area for them.

Ceruleans were singing into the heat of the day and a few came down low for great looks. Redstart pairs quite active. I watched a female gathering cobwebs for a nest.

Also heard my FOS YB Cuckoo.

Warblers
Worm-eating FOS (H)
Cerulean