OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2017

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2017 23:39:39 +0000
Greetings!
Several individuals are still reporting Red Crossbills from Picnic Area #3, at the Clear Fork Reservoir, in Richland/Morrow Counties. I checked for the birds this evening, but was not able to locate them. I know that birders saw them this morning and some folks that I talked with heard them not long before I arrived at the location. Please keep in mind that there are many mature conifers, loaded with cones, all along the SW side of the reservoir. While the birds seem to frequent Picnic Area #3, they could be in any of the picnic areas or pull-offs from that particular location to the SE end of the reservoir, near the dam.
Also, the reservoir is loaded with waterfowl and gulls right now. Just this evening, there was a wide variety of waterfowl and waterbirds including Common Loon, Horned Grebe, Double-crested Cormorant and many others. Gary Cowell had a Greater White-fronted Goose there last evening. This reservoir is a magnet for waterfowl and gulls, all of fall and winter, as long as it stays open.
In addition, if you need a Lesser Black-backed Gull, this is the place to go! Anyone visiting for crossbills, waterfowl, etc. should check-out the SE end of the reservoir, near the dam, about an hour before sunset. Thousands of gulls come streaming into the area, just above the dam, at the end of the day. For some odd reason, this location is a magnet for Lesser Black-backed Gulls. I had no fewer than eight (8) adults there this evening! My guess is I missed a few and in the fading light, I always have trouble picking-out immature birds. Sometimes we get as many as 10-15+ in the floating masses.
Good Birding!
Jason
Jason S. Larson  Executive Director - Richland County Park District/Gorman Nature Center/B&O Bike TrailCurator - Muskingum University Herbarium (MUS) 2295 Lexington Avenue Mansfield, Ohio [log in to unmask]@gmail.com 419-884-3764gormannaturecenter.org