OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2022

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jul 2022 20:59:54 -0400
I helped with the Clermont NABA count in the morning. Quiet.
Bird wise! No Wood Thrush. Common Yellowthroats singing
Up a storm though. Red eyed and Yellow throated Vireos. We
Had a Song Sparrow on nest. She didn’t budge. We kept our
Distance. I have not heard either Cuckoo in awhile. My yard has
Gotten quiet now too. That time of year.

Lost bridge and the river really look good for herons and shorebirds.
Spent an hour in the horrendous heat and humidity out there. I was
Dripping wet when I left. The way the vegetation and exposed sand
Are in that old gravel pit, some of the best viewing was from the
Bridge looking back at the pit. I picked up a lot this way.

Still slow though. Probably after the next cold front….

22 killdeer
8 least
1 pectoral - my fos
1 peep sp
1 lesser yellowlegs
43 Great blue herons. Wow!
10 great egrets

I had rough winged, bank, tree, and barn. And no cliff!

Merlin - I use it sometimes when traveling out west. Where I don’t know the
Songs and calls. It helps! It’s been wrong enough times for me that I don't trust
It, though. I count birds heard only. But I am rock solid sure. Period. I have seen
Pine Warbler, Worm eating, and Chipping Sparrow been miscalled so many
Times….. I have done it too as I was learning! I don't think that will ever change -
Even with a computer.

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini