OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2022

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2022 17:45:55 -0500
Chased both of these today & as per my previous post from Groveport, the “Blue” Snow Goose was showing well at the same detention pond where I had seen the Brant, hanging out with several Canada Geese. Lovely goose. I’ve not seen that many dark morph adults so it was a treat to see one close. I needed snow goose for Ohio so it was great to get a blue morph for that.

The Snowy Owl near Spring Valley is still perched on the corn crib or whatever it is in the middle of a very large cornfield so it was anything but close. I hung around for a while hoping it might move around at least but it seemed pretty happy just where it was. There is no access or way to get closer to the bird & even scope views were limited by heat waves. A private road into the field is chained and marked no trespassing which I take to mean no trespassing in the field at all which is traditional anyway; i.e., one doesn’t venture onto farm fields w/o the owner’s permission. So, a tickable bird but not a photo op or v satisfying view but still a great bird to see.

I saw a red-taileds and kestrels along the way including a pair of red-taileds just outside Granville doing circling and leg dangling. On the way to see the snowy owl, I got a glimpse of another snow goose on a farm pond—the expected light morph. Also saw a group of Black Vultures fly across I-71 just W of Columbus.

I forgot to post, but Saturday I saw at least one Hermit Thrush at Denison Bio Reserve. Also had robins & bluebirds. Black and Turkey Vultures.

Peggy Wang
Granville
Sent from my iPad