OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2018 20:21:45 -0500
I made several stops in the Alum Creek corridor between Sharon Woods and
the Alum Creek Dam, mostly trying to stay out of the wind.  They included
Spring Creek Trail in Sharon Woods, Heritage Park, Walker Woods Blvd.
Ravines, the Dam spillway, and the Visitors Center area.  Despite the deep
snow, there were birds around at most places.  Unexpected birds included:

Swans - 8 were roosting on the ice of Alum Creek Lake; 3 were definitely
Tundras, but the other 5 were too tucked in for me to make out species

Geese - only a few Canadas at the Spillway, but a big flock of 340+ were in
Alum Creek at Heritage Park, the only open water around.

Ducks - the spillway had very few, including 1 Lesser Scaup, 1
Com.Goldeneye, and 1 Hooded Merganser

Pileated Woodpecker - good day, with singles at Spring Creek, Heritage
Park, and the Alum Creek Lake Visitors Center Woods.

E.Bluebird - the only one was a male along the Walker Woods Blvd ravines

Yellow-rumped Warblers - surprisingly widespread, with birds at Spring
Creek, Heritage, and the Alum Creek Lake Visitors Center.

Fox Sparrows - 2 were along the Spring Creek Trail in Sharon Woods