OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2021

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Gregg Eldred <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 2021 18:55:55 -0400

After birding Magee Marsh, it was only a 15-20 minute drive to Maumee Bay

to see the nesting Piping Plovers. So, off we went.

First, it was extremely impressive the amount of beach area that has been

roped off for these nesting birds. Talking with a pair of volunteers, the

state came in the other day and increased the restricted area.

Next, as expected, the two volunteers were very gracious with their time

and equipment. I had a “few” questions about the birds, their nesting, and

other items. They answered every question and more.

They had their own scope setup and allowed anyone and everyone to have a

look at the birds. While binoculars are adequate, the scope really gets you

close.

I said “as expected” because while I haven’t been birding long, I love the

community sharing their knowledge, time, sightings, and equipment with

others. It is really an amazing group of people and I’m glad to be a part

of it.

Finally, as someone who isn’t that familiar with these plovers, I was

shocked at just how small they are. I got to see the male harass a killdeer

that got too close to the nest. The plover is significantly smaller than

the killdeer. I thought leaving my scope in the car would be fine, my

binoculars would be okay  And that’s what I got with the binoculars, an

“okay” view of them. The scope would have been much better.

It was a joy to see the plovers. I have many thanks to the volunteers and

the state employees that are protecting the nesting area.

— Gregg