OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Helen Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Helen Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2018 18:49:05 -0500
We frequently see Eastern Bluebirds as we walk in the village park adjacent to us.  Appreciating the discussion of flock sizes, and remembering large flocks of Mountain Bluebirds we’ve seen, I checked our e-bird records for this particular site (Westfield Village park, Medina County).  We have seen flocks of 10-15 occasionally.  The largest number we’ve counted was 17.  Recently we’ve seen them eating small fruits such as hawthorn berries and multiflora rose berries.  We’ve had Cedar Waxwings recently, also feeding on the multiflora roses with the bluebirds.

Never knowing what we’ll see along the edges of this park makes walking there fun, even when the exercise is repetitive!  A Lesser Yellowlegs that had stopped at the stormwater retention pond and a Cape May Warbler in September were special treats, as beyond the poison ivy berries, there is little here to concentrate birds!

Helen Ostermiller