OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2018 10:24:00 -0500
Due to a funeral, I have been away from Ohio for almost a week, and have
tried to remain neutral on this issue. However, as a member of this
community, I feel it's time to say that enough is enough.

First of all, the listserv has rules, and punishments.  Bill is not banned
for life...or even a year.  Six months is not that long.

Second, the only reason we know he was banned at all was that a private
email was made public...which is or isn't fine, depending on your
outlook...but I'm sure he was warned in the past for things he has said or
done both on and off the listserv...the contents of which we are not privy
to.

Third, these posts are now part of the public listserv where anyone can
read them from anywhere...including the posts that say they are
unsubscribing because of how Bill was treated.  If you have a
problem...take it up privately.  None of these replies (including this
post) have anything to do with birding, or birds, or related issues.  It's
a family squabble that should have remained in the family, not in public.
If you have a problem with a post, contact the listserv.

      Bill's original post quoting an account of owl nest raiding to me was
not offensive, I understand it for what it is, historical.  However, others
were offended by it. The fact that others were offended and made the
offense public, rightly or wrongly, on this listserv predicated the need
for a timely response.  My only problem with how it was handled, is that
the listserv board should have posted a public email on the banning, and
the reasons behind it, because of the public nature of the whole affair.

Finally, this listserv has nearly become the laughingstock of the birding
community.  Birders do not search the Ohio listserv anymore for info on
chase birds or birding topics related to birding in Ohio...they go on
Facebook. If the OOS and the Ohio birding community wants this listserv to
survive and be relevant, then it (the listserv) needs to grow up...it may
need some changes in format or rules...but it needs to grow up.

I do find Bill's post informative, but sometimes controversial.  I think
that if you are going to post on the listserv, before you hit send, re-read
it and ask yourself "would a group be offended by what I said?". If there
is even a hint that it might, then go back and edit it...if it is
historical commentary, like the quote given by Bill, then maybe a link with
a disclaimer would be a better option.

This is all I am going to say on the matter publicly.

Happy birding and God bless,

Steve J.