OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2017

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Doug Overacker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Overacker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2017 12:03:15 -0500
Julie and I looked around the south end of the lake at Buck Creek State Park
in Clark County near Springfield this morning. There were 18 Sandhill Cranes
near the dam in shallow water not far from the beach when we arrived but
they took off before we were finished with our walk. There were lots of
ducks and Canada Geese scattered on the lake. They are probably moving from
small ponds which are freezing now. We saw two male Wood Ducks, a few
shovelers, some Gadwalls, Mallards, Canvasbacks, a Ring-necked Duck, a few
Lesser Scaup, a female Bufflehead, about 30 Ruddy Ducks, and at 100 Hooded
Mergansers. There were also about 30 Pied-billed Grebes but we didn't find
any Horned Grebes. We didn't go farther north where there were more birds
that we couldn't identify.

Doug Overacker
Julie Karlson