OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Karen Zeleznik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2018 16:55:59 -0400
 Kate Jones-Orr and I found the Cackling Goose at long last about 2:00 PM
right next to the parking lot in the canal by Wilbeth Road.  We did not see
the goose when we left at 3:45 PM.  But I had the surprise of my life while
sitting in my car preparing the ebird tally.  I saw movement up in a tree
to my left over the water, and movement in the sky above it. I casually
glanced that way and saw two raptors I could not ID while sitting.  I got
out of the car and saw a Red-tail in the tree with another bird above it.
I was totally flummoxed and struggled to identify what I saw, never
expecting anything new or different.  It was an Osprey!  I believe he was
called to the area by a conversation we had just before Kate and I parted
ways about a former Osprey nest in the area.  I told her, I never expect to
see them, so they are always a surprise.  Since it takes me so long to
prepare a clean ebird list, Kate was pulling out of the lot as I saw the
raptor arrival.  I could not flag her down and could not figure out how to
use my phone!!!  The Osprey flew around over my head for awhile, then went
to the canal area and flew casually north out of my sight. When Kate
returned the bird was gone :-(😕

--
Encourage each other daily while it is still today.  Hebrews 3:13