OHIOAIR Archives

February 2007

OHIOAIR@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"S. Hoagland" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ohio Association for Institutional Research (Ohio AIR)
Date:
Sun, 11 Feb 2007 12:49:59 -0800
Hello IR'ers,

I wonder how many of our colleagues would have
interest in topic related to screening prospective
employers.  How about a topic like "A profile of
institutions that appear to make a mockery out of
quality assurance practices and accreditation
processes."

A workshop or presentation along these lines could
help our hardworking colleagues steer clear of those
(small, private?)institutions that appear to have a
track record of ramping up for accreditation,
receiving a stamp of approval, and then ramping down.
It could also help them avoid periods of unemployment.

Statistics such as retention and graduation rates and
financial ratios are a good place to start.  Better
yet, one might consider visiting
http://www.ncahlc.org/index.php?institution=&state=OH&submit=Search&form_submitted=TRUE&option=com_directory&showquery=
or http://www.chea.org/search/search.asp.

I am uncertain about your recent experiences, but some
recruiters and search committees with which I had
recent interactions seem baffled by the question "What
commitment does your institution have toward
institutional research, strategic and effectiveness
planning, etc.?"

Those answers of late seem to indicate a commitment to
the cycle referenced above.  By the way, exercise
caution when reviewing current and future employment
opportunities even those posted on the AIR website.
IMHO, there are some institutions around that are
always looking for a few good what might be called
"accreditation prostitutes" for the lack of a better
phrase.

Is there any interest in such a topic?  If so, do you
know anyone who could effectively speak to the topic?
As a plausible research project, it would be difficult
to obtain informed consent from the research subjects.

Thank for your attention and consideration!

Best wishes,

Steve Hoagland

Never miss an email again!