OHIOAIR Archives

March 2000

OHIOAIR@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
William Bulger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ohio Association for Institutional Research (Ohio AIR)
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 09:03:48 -0500
At 08:35 AM 03/28/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>OAIRP Colleagues,
>
>Does anybody know about file servers?
>
>I've been researching buying one for our office
>and am now at the point of evaluating two different
>options that I've been shown by Dell.
>
>Both servers are Dell PowerEdge 2400 with the same
>configurations for power supply, monitor, keyboard,
>mouse, terminator card, CD, floppy drive, tape backup,
>RAID 5 configuration, NT 4.0, tech supporet, etc.
>
>The chief differences between the 2, as I can best determine, are:
>
>533 MHz processor   256 MB DRAM   54.6 GB hard drive     $5,607
>
>600 MHz processor   512 MB DRAM   144 GB hard drive      $10,274
>

>Two things that I'm really wondering about are:
>
>1.  Is there a middle ground between these two configurations
>    that I should think about?
>
>2.  Are there any other important features which haven't been noted here?
>
>Thank you very much.
>
>Bill
>

>Dr. William E. Knight                   (419) 372-7816 (voice)
>Dir., Planning and Inst. Research       (419) 372-7878 (fax)
>Ast. Prof., Higher Education            [log in to unmask]
>Bowling Green State University          www.bgsu.edu/offices/ir
>301 McFall Center
>Bowling Green, Ohio  43403-0087
>
>shamelessly stolen IR and planning-related quotes:
>"If you torture numbers long enough they'll confess to anything."
>"If you want a green suit turn on a green light."
>"You don't fatten the pig by weighing it."
>(re 11th-hour info. requests) "If you want it bad, you may get it bad."
>"Where you come from determines how you use your statistics."
>"Don't give people a clock without telling them what time it is."
>“Statistics are no substitute for judgment . . . and vice versa."
>"People don't plan to fail; they fail to plan."
>"Instead of worrying about the future, let us labor to create it."
>"The art of progress is to preserve order amid change, and change amid
>order."

Bill,

        I'm not sure what you have in mind, but you should consider that you may
need two systems to guard against failure and for capacity balancing.

        Informations systems just purchased 3 2400's.  Chip Aiken of our info
services staff said that he would be glad to talk to you.  He said he'll be
in and out this week and may be hard to get a hold of.  But he is good
about returning calls.  His number is 330-672-7971 (Ext 52).

Will

William Bulger
126 Lowry Hall
Kent State University