OHIOAIR Archives

July 1995

OHIOAIR@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Andy Lechler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ohio Association for Institutional Research (Ohio AIR)
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 1995 09:50:25 -0400
Hello list serv-ees.

I'm working as a consultant at the Ohio Board of
Regents on the project to re-engineer its information system.  We're
planning to keep the database in a relational format.  One of the data
subject areas is financial data.  Included in the financial data are
two dozen or so financial reports that are described in the
INSTITUTIONAL FINANCIAL REPORTS section of the UIS Manual.
As you may know, the UIS manual is used by the institutions for
instructions concerning submitting data reports to the Ohio Board of Regents.

I'm looking for advice on how to model these reports in a relational
format.

Looking at the report descriptions, I get the impression that they are
fairly standard financial reports.  I understand that they are
supposed to comply with standards set by a federal government group
called Government Accounting Standards Board, or GASB.  I wonder
if some institution hasn't already modeled them as relational database tables.

If you know of any such case, or if you know of a good contact at
GASB, please let me know.

Thanks for the help!

Andy Lechler