OHIOAIR Archives

August 2000

OHIOAIR@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Chris Doll <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ohio Association for Institutional Research (Ohio AIR)
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 09:22:33 -0400
Kim et al.,

There is  information about GPA in the Baccalaureate and Beyond (B&B) dataset
maintained by the NCES. The B&B is a longitudinal study providing information
about the work and educational experiences of students after receiving the bac
degree. Information about the student's grades are taken directly from the
transcript of the student and are thus fairly reliable. For more information about
the B&B go to http://nces.ed.gov/surveys/b&b/. The downside to this dataset is
that it tracks only bac recipients and so may or may not be useful for your
purposes.

There is also some information about GPA in the Beginning Postsecondary Student
(BPS) dataset maintained by NCES. The BPS is a longitudinal study of students at
the onset of their postsecondary career. The downside to these data is that the
information about GPA is generally self-reported by the student, and may not be as
reliable. For more information about the BPS go to
http://nces.ed.gov/surveys/bps/.

I'm not sure if either of these datasets is appropriate for your needs, but they
do exist and are easily obtainable from NCES.

Chris