OHIOFIRE Archives

July 2000

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Vincent Leonard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 09:07:09 -0600
 Hope you don't mind my throwing in my two cents. I would agree that the first
and foremost priority is to get the people out. A fire alarm system is critical
to this end, but don't sell short on sprinklers. You said that the sprinklers
protect the property after the people are out. Yes this is true, but sprinklers
also saved the lifes of several occupants in an appartment on UNM when a single
sprinkler extinguished a grease fire. The students were in another part of the
apartment, oblivious to the hazard and fire. Sprinklers will also control smoke
propogation by controlling the fire (depending of course on how long the fire
smoldered prior to sprinkler actcivation). Another New Mexico university saw
extensive smoke damage in a building (not a dorm) due to a fire in an
unsprinklered building. Consider not only the life hazard, but the property
damage, down time of the building for repairs, additional costs to the college
for new equipment - manhours - lost revenue to repair the damage. damaged
property claims by students, law suits by parents, additional emergency response
manpower to fight a working fire, media coverage etc. etc. etc. What is needed
is a combined effort of a good detection/alarm/sprinkler/education/inspection
system in all college residential buildings.