OHIOFIRE Archives

May 2000

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jim Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 06:47:36 -0400
In addition to special hazards identified by Richard Wadleigh,  Federal & State transportation laws require that certain commercial
vehicles (>25,000# GVW, hauling hazrdous material, 15+ passenger vans, etc.) carry the following emergency equipment:
    A. A fire extinguisher - properly filled, securely mounted, and
readily accessible. (Minimum 5B:C or two 4B:C for general commodities;
10B:C for hazardous material transport; 20B:C for LPG transport.)
     B. Warning devices for stopped vehicles, preferably three red
reflective devices.
     C. Spare fuses or other overload protection devices for each kind
and size used.

These are the ones where the driver is required to have a commercial drivers license in order to operate the vehicle. We have extinguishers
on 11 vehicles (trash trucks, dump trucks, tow trucks, aerial boom trucks, welding truck) as required by DOT regs. On 15 trucks, they are
not required but our fleet manager wants them (larger special services trucks, lawn mower repair trucks, etc.). Those required by NFPA &
OSHA on the portable welding & cutting rigs are assigned to the hotwork rig, not to a maintenance vehicle.