OHIOFIRE Archives

November 2000

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Normand Lanthier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 12:31:47 -0500
Good morning Randy,

Here at Concordia University we fall under the Province of Quebec "Tobacco
Act" established in 1999.  It is applicable to all public buildings.

http://www.msss.gouv.qc.ca/loi-tabac/

Concordia University had already a Non Smoking Policy since 1993, where it
is stipulated that Concordia is a smoke free environment, with the
exception of the Reggie's Pub(student bar) which is equipped with its own
separated ventilation system.

http://relish.concordia.ca/Legal_Counsel/policies/english/VRS/VRS-1.html

Under the provincial act, the Security Officers will be assermented
"Inspectors" to ensure compliance with the Act, and to be authorized to
issue statements of offense calling for fines in respect of offenders. In
addition, incident reports will be filled up for further administrative
measures.

Our population is non smoking in general, which means that the application
is facilitated for both Concordia "Smoke Free Environment Policy" and
Quebec "Tobacco Act".

Hoping this information will be helpful.

At 04:50 PM 11/21/00 -0500, you wrote:
>    Good Afternoon,
>    I am interested in finding out if other educational institutions have
a no
>smoking policy on campus for staff and / or students. I also would also
like to
>know how it is enforced. Are there penalties for not following the policy,
and
>are faculty receptive to the policy? Statistics for smoking would be helpful.
>Your input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
>                                    Randy Shebby
>                                    Occupational Safety Manager
>                                    Lehigh University

Normand Lanthier