OHIOFIRE Archives

July 2000

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jim Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 15:23:28 -0400
Jim: I'd like to echo the comments of Richard W, Randy S, et al. Talk to the
local FD and AHJ and get rid of them if possible (we did about 23-24 years
ago). For ammunition, check NFPA 14 for the requirements of the 3 classes of
standpipes; NFPA 25 (Table 3-1) for the inspcetion,testing & maintenance
frequencies of various components; NFPA 1962 for the hose racking requirements.

Occupants shouldn't use them (unless trained) and the FD probably won't (unless
they're crazy). The only place we keep them is on either side of the stage in
our main theater because the building is not fully sprinklered. They move out
into a new building in the next month or so and the first thing to go will be
those darn hoses.

Jim Robinson
Univ of Maryland
Facilities Management