OHIOFIRE Archives

November 2000

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Janie Fowler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 15:31:33 -0600
Here at the Univ. of Alabama in Tuscaloosa we have 30 residence halls/living
facilities (does not include apartments on campus).  In 1999 we had 69 fire
alarms and 18 of those were attributed to some type of real alarm (food on
stove or something related to smoke setting off detectors).  In 2000 we have
had through October 47 fire alarms with 19 of those being attributed to some
type of real alarm.  All of our residence hall/living facilities have smoke
detector activation except 7 small buildings that are in the stages of being
upgraded for smoke detector activation.  Almost all of our pull stations have
the stopper II and I attribute that to reducing the number of pull stations
activated.  When fraternities/sororities have a problem with pull stations
being activated, we require them to install the stopper II to prevent future
false alarms.  Right now, steam from showers are our concern with smoke
detectors and work towards assuring exhaust fans work in the restrooms, the
doors are closed with automatic closing devices and smoke detectors are not
installed right outside these areas.  These type alarms are slowly diminishing.
I give a high percentage to the success rate of the stopper II pull station
covers.

Janie Fowler, Safety Coord.
Univ. of Alabama
205-348-5910